R- You are my greatest joy and the highlight of my day. I will always be grateful that I have had the chance to stay home with you while you are learning to navigate the world. There are a few things I would like to say to you. While I would love to wax poetic for hours on end, I have decided to make a bullet point list for you. The rest – well, the rest I will say to you in person. Everyday. As long as you will let me.
- I love you. No matter what. Even when I am angry. Even if…no, when, you make mistakes. Because you will make mistakes my love. Small mistakes. Colossal mistakes. Just know that even if I am exasperated, even if I am sad, angry, or frustrated I will always love you. This I promise.
- You were made in God’s image and our culture does everything in its power to make you believe its lies. You are beautiful. Don’t pay attention to the mainstream media. Perhaps it will change. I hope that when you are old enough to read this, you won’t understand what I’m talking about because nothing will challenge your self-image. I’m not so sure that will be the case, so here is the fact: Beauty comes from within. You are NOT a mistake. You are a wondrous creation.
- Have fun with Daddy. One day you might be embarrassed by his awkwardness and silliness, but he is one of the funniest, kindest, and goofiest people I’ve ever known. Dance with him. Sing songs with him in the style of Bob Dylan (one of his favorite things to do to get Mama to laugh). Don’t take him for granted, because he loves you so.
- Don’t lose sight of eternity. No matter what this life throws at you, remember that God is on the throne and He wants the best for you. Keep your focus on Him and you won’t go wrong.
- I may be biased, but you have the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. I pray that life continuously gives you something to smile about.
- Know that my job is to love you and teach you. Discipline comes from the word disciplina, Latin for teaching/learning. I know when I correct your behavior you won’t always like it, and sometimes you may not even like me. My purpose on this earth is not primarily to be your friend – it is to teach you the way you should go. I will be your parent first. However, I do hope that I can also be your friend. I pray we will honor and respect one another.
There will be many more letters, talks, and lessons along the way, sweet R. This is all for today, but I do love you so much. Welcome to the world!